Thanks to the wonderful graphics available on Jan Brett’s site: janbrett.com I was able to design some wonderful activities to do after reading: The Mitten.
The packet includes:
- Move Over Please, So I Won’t Freeze easy reader booklet, which reinforces lots of Common Core, especially ordinal numbers and verbs.
- Cover lots of standards as students underline the verbs, circle the capital letters, add end punctuation, trace and write the words and then cut & glue the matching animal character.
- There’s also a mitten paper plate pocket “craftivity” students make to keep all of their mitten-related work in.
- I used an 8″-sturdy plate for the pocket and stapled it to the bottom-front of the mitten.
- + a set of ordinal number pocket cards
- A Mitten Matching card game, where students match the animal character to the animal’s name, or the ordinal number position it had in the story, or all three: i.e. the word mole, picture of the mole, ordinal number card 1st-first
- Ordinal number character assessment strip with answer key.
- 2 graphing activities
- 2 mitten writing prompts
- Several mitten worksheets, including one that covers rhyming words + more verb-work. (Great for Daily 5 activities.) and …
- A certificate of praise bookmark that can be used to play another game.