Character education is one of the more difficult content areas to focus on simply because we don’t always have time for it! However, educators of all grade levels and content areas know that character education and teaching positive character traits should be a focal point because students spend so much of their day in school — how could we not focus on it? We have a responsibility to teach skills like this, as well. This free character education resource for elementary students has a few different printables you can use to study one positive trait every week!
This freebie has 36 positive traits, which means you can study one per week over 36 weeks of the school year! There are a few printables included that encourage students to explore each positive trait and what it truly means to them. There are different levels so that you can differentiate as needed. Then, there’s a printable for a note that you can send home when one of your students demonstrates a positive trait!
Some ways that you can encourage deeper learning of the character education traits include:
- having students complete the printables described above
- discussing the traits as a whole group and having students role-play examples
- encouraging students to demonstrate the positive character traits throughout the week
- sending home the “Hooray!” note when a student demonstrates the trait
- having a discussion at the end of the week where you encourage students to share when they saw the trait demonstrated
Interested in another freebie from me? Head over to these free Reading Strategies Task Cards for the upper elementary grades!