Open House the Day you’ve been waiting for. You might be nervous to meet new students, interact with parents, or deliver information effectively. Meet the Teacher is a great way to start the year off right for everyone.
Meet the Teacher or Open House is setting the tone for back to school. I remember nerve-wracking nights thinking about how things looked, was everything ready and was I prepared?
Back to school is a fresh year with an entire new group and chances to start building strong relationships and bonds with a good start. If you are looking for the ABSOLUTE best (and easiest!) ways to do that, here you go:
5 Must Haves for a Successful Open House
- Forms! You’ll need information about you (make sure to include some of your favorites – or use a Teacher Favorites Page), an information for students (can be digital!) and information for parents about classroom procedures
If you are still working on procedures, just include what you know and reference that more is coming. I like using bright paper so it doesn’t get lost in the back to school meet the teacher shuffle
- Supply Stations – have labeled areas for students to drop off supplies! Even if students don’t do it that night, they will still be useful the first day. Especially helpful for larger supplies – tissues, paper towels, wipes, etc…
- Use Names around the room! Research noted that happy classrooms have students’ names displayed in at least three locations. **make sure you ask if you are unsure of how to pronounce. This is critical for the identity of the student.
- Community Building from Day 1 – work with caregivers, and your families in your classroom to build something together even if it’s just with Post-Its and writing goals for the year or puzzle pieces that fit together. Show we’re all in this together!
- Welcome Procedures – Ask students how they want to be greeted (high five, handshake, etc….), give tours of the room allowing for exploration as it is a shared space, and go over basics of room and supplies if a presentation is needed keeping it very brief and leaving room for questions!
This checklist (linked below) keeps it all together for you!
Open House Supplies:
How to stay Stress Free on Meet the Teacher Night
Even with everything prepped for your Open House Back to School Night, one can feel nervous. It’s definitely normal and sometimes accompanied by crazy back to school dreams.
- Let It Go – in the famous words of Frozen. Imagine with lots of details each part of the event and exactly how you think it will go. Realize what could change and mentally prepare
- Self-Care– relax ahead of time. Only so much prep for meet the teacher then just go with it.
- Remember – you’re the one putting pressure on yourself. You’re students are excited for YOU! This is only the first and if you need to modify or correct any information you have an entire year!
You can do this! Your students are excited (and maybe nervous!) to meet you! Your parents want to know who is keeping their babies. You have the resources, tools and supplies – make this your best year yet!!
Grab your FREE Open House Checklist and make this your BEST YEAR EVER!