I use this FREE video notebook for basic operations in math within my classroom, and kids love it. Video notebooks provide a highly effective means for children to learn mathematical concepts. I use video notebooks within my class, and my students have show significant improvement in their understanding as well as on their exams. This great success comes from the simple fact that children learn more effectively when they get to see the math in action. By watching these videos, children observe how the algorithm is used to solve a mathematical problem. After copying the notes into their notebook, I give my students more practice solving similar problems.
Why are Video Notebooks so Effective for Distance Learning?
- Video notebooks explain key terms in a manner that makes sense to children.
- Video notebooks take children through a step-by-step process of how algorithm & strategies work.
- Children learn better when they can see how key terms, strategies, and algorithms are used to solve problems.
The Photo below is a sample from this booklet. Click on the photo to see the video tutorial in actions.
Why do children learn better from video notebooks?
Video Notebooks make more sense than notes within a textbook. These video notebooks explain the vocabulary and show the step by step process of using those vocabulary terms to solve problems. This makes the math much easier to understand. Video notebooks also reinforce effective note taking skills for students. Students become a part of the learning process, because they are able to watch, hear, and then copy the notes. Finally, children are able to revisit the videos for a quick review or for clarification of a concept.
Here is another sample from this booklet. Click on the photo to see the video tutorial in actions.
How to use this Video Notebook
Basic Operations in Mathematics:
- Get your FREE copy from my Teachers Pay Teachers store.
- Upload the PDF booklet into your Google Classroom as an assignment. Review the notes with your students, and answer any clarifying questions. Then have your students copy the notes into their notebooks. Remind them that they can revisit the videos any time they would like a quick review.
If you are a PARENT, keep the PDF booklet into your home computer. Watch the notes with your child, and discuss the math. It’s a great way to reinforce the importance of education with your children, and you may even find that you too are enjoying the math. Have your children copy the notes into their notebooks, and remind them that they can revisit the videos any time they would like a quick review.
This notebook covers the following terms:
· Commutative Property
· Multiplying with Decimals
· Dividing with Decimals
· Place Value
· Order of Operation
Would you like to get this book for FREE?
One Last Thing
If you like this post and found it helpful, please leave a brief comment. As a teacher, perhaps the greatest reward I receive is from parents, children, and fellow teachers who use my strategies of education and succeed.
My mission in life and as an educator is to make people feel empowered, self-assured, and happy about who they are in this world! We all have gifts to bestow upon our world. Go forth and do so, and know that you are awesome!
Have a fantastic day – Brian McCoy