Read about the simple steps for how to teach main idea. Check out the “How to Teach Main Idea” anchor chart below.
Teaching main idea doesn’t have to be difficult.
Teaching students how to find the main idea of a text isn’t the most exciting thing to teach, but it really doesn’t have to be difficult. For some reason, teaching students how to find main idea just seems overwhelming.
Main Idea – Before You Read, During the Reading, & After You Read!
I have taken the skill of how to find main idea and broken it down into what students should do before reading, during reading, and after reading.
Steps for How to Teach Main Idea:
Below you will find the simple steps for how to teach main idea:
BEFORE YOU READ:
- Read the title.
- What is the text about?
- What is the topic?
DURING THE READING:
- Look for and carefully read the text features.
- Is the text fiction… nonfiction…
- Look for information, words, and pictures that are repeated throughout the text.
AFTER YOU READ:
- Think about the most important point of the topic.
- What details or examples back up or support the main idea?
All the best!
Jen Bradshaw @ TeacherKarma.com
Having issues with your students “Really Not Reading?” Click here to read more and grab your freebie.