Here’s a second grade addition strategy game that will keep your students motivated and thinking, right through spring and even in the last days of school!
Keeping our learners actually learning right up through the final days of school can sure be challenging! Once spring break and testing are past, and even more so once recess held outside in the spring air, you’re going to need to use the strongest tools in your teacher tool belt to keep students on task!
In my experience, learning games are the answer. Games are FUN! Sprinkling learning with fun means that your students will be begging for more.
How can using games in your classroom continue to build skills AND save your sanity at this time of year?
- When your students are playing games, chances are improved that they’re going to stay focused longer. That means they’ll be getting more practice, no matter what skill the games are designed to reinforce.
- Playing games will continue to promote the social skills that you’ve been teaching all year. Think about skills like taking turns, using kind and respectful language, being a good loser … and a gracious winner, too!
- When your students are playing games and you’ve established rules that will help them be independent, you’ll find that you’re able to squeeze in some time for those end of year tasks that demand one-on-one time, like reviewing portfolios.
Try this free addition strategy game in your second grade math centers and math rotations. Here’s what teachers like best about it:
- This game is just one page with NO CARDS TO PREPARE! Easy prep is what’s called for, this time of year even more than usual!
- It comes in both color and black & white versions. You choose: print the color version on cardstock and laminate to use in a center OR print multiple copies of the blackline version and have a whole class game session, switching partners and playing again.
Enjoy Every Birdie’s Adding!
Click here for a place value activity also guaranteed to be fun and motivating for high second and third grade learners!